My wife stumbled across these cute ducks today after a rain storm in D.C. As I looked at this picture, I drew a parallel to business leadership. Maybe I was thinking “follow the leader”? Then, I found myself thinking about the leadership team within my organization.
In business, leadership can be much like these ducks. Let’s take a look at the parallels that I drew:
- Leadership: Many of these ducks will become the leader one day. It is important that they learn how to follow a good leader. In some cases, you might learn what NOT to do from a bad leader. Both can be effective.
- Development: Each of these ducks will require nurturing in order to see their full potential. In this case, it is probably survival, but in business isn’t it also? Employees require development, training opportunities, and assignments which will allow them to reach their full potential. Professional development is also a key factor in retaining good employees.
- Organization & Process: These ducks travel in a line. Perhaps this is for safety and security? Good business leaders need to establish clear process to ensure clear responsibilities and deliver effectively. If one duck goes rogue, it could endanger the entire group. Think Snowden and Booz Allen Hamilton.
Take a look around at your leadership. Are you leading, or are you being led?
- Leadership 101 (neilcrofts.wordpress.com)
- Good Leaders Are Made, Not Born. (business2community.com)
- Are You Leading… or Just Managing? (leadonpurposeblog.com)
- 6 Ways To Talk Like a Leader (talentalks.wordpress.com)